Investing Tips 2022: Easter Competition Update
Three of the councils ignored the broader stock market woes and moved against the crowd
For this year’s Christmas investment advice competition, none of our experts predicted a Russian invasion of Ukraine, unsurprisingly, so most of their picks are in the red.
However, three of the boards ignored the broader stock market woes and moved against the crowd.
And there’s a good reason all three have made progress.
Currently at the helm of this friendly competition is Markets.com market analyst Neil Wilson’s choice of SARK ETF, or to give it its full name, Tuttle Capital Short Innovation ETF.
This exchange-traded fund is a way to bypass Cathie Wood and her ARK Innovation fund, aka ARKK.
And the reason it’s done well is that the ARKK fell this year, just as Wilson predicted. in the original story. Specifically, he said that Tesla, which was and remains the ARKK ETF’s largest holding “must downgrade massively sooner or later” and that he correctly predicted that Federal Reserve tightening “should hurt to the fund and higher inflation and rates should mean those big long growth spoilers are in a hurry.”
Priced at US$37.2 when it was released, the SARK ETF is up almost a third since Christmas.
In second place is another fund pick, with financial trader Vince Stanzione picking the Invesco DB Agriculture fund, which has since risen nearly 15%. (As this fund cannot be bought by many UK investors, its backup tip of the Wisdomtree Agriculture ETF is even higher, almost 24%).
Stanzione, who also came second in last year’s competition, suggested that these funds, which effectively track the prices of a “basket” of agricultural products, would do well because prices “are still very depressed”, to all the more so if they also take into account the expected increases in inflation and food prices in 2022.
Inadvertently, both ETFs have risen since Russia went to war with Ukraine – two major food producing nations – but even before the invasion the funds had risen by around 9% and 12% respectively.
As Stanzione said: “Agricultural commodities are not tied to the stock market, so even if stocks are low they can rise, after all we still need to eat!”
In third place is Peter Sleep, senior investment manager at 7 Investment Management, with his tip from Ruffer Investment Company Ltd (LSE:RICA), which is up 5.5% since publication.
Sleep, who also won the bronze medal last year, prefaced his advice with a wise prediction: “If the markets are doing well, this pick will put me last on the list.”
As he said, Ruffer’s intention with the fund is to do well in extreme adverse events, holding a selection of indexed bonds, gold and derivatives, with the investment trust adding a “genuine diversification” to his portfolio.
New data from the investment platform has shown it to be one of the most popular investment choices for ISA investors over the past month (https://www.proactiveinvestors.co.uk /companies/news/978748/inflation-protection-and-leaning -into-volatility-the-key-trends-for-uk-fund-investors-ahead-of-isa-deadline-978748.html), as investors seek to preserve their heritage.
But for the other 12 councils, there are still more than eight months before the winner is decided.
(Starting prices were at 11 a.m. in London on December 29 and last prices were taken on Thursday April 14)
- Apple – Victoria Scholar @ Interactive Investor
- Peak price US$179.29, last price: $167.66
- Cordel Group – Andrew Hore @ AIM Journal
- Tip price 11p, last price (to be confirmed 10p)
- CRH – Danni Hewson @ AJ Bell
- Tip price 3,906p, last price (TBC 3,016.5
- Games Workshop – Dan Lane @ Freetrade
- Tip price 10,080p, last price (TBC 7,685
- Invesco China Equity – Darius McDermott @ Fundcalibre
- Peak price: 786.95p, last price (TBC 690.49p
- Invesco DB Agriculture Fund – Vince Stanzione, financial trader
- Tip price: $19.77, latest price (TBC: $22.68 = up 14.7%
- Legal and General – John Kingham @ UK Value Investor
- Tip price: 297.8p, last price (to be confirmed 270.7p
- Metahero (Hero Token) – Andy @ Operation Crypto
- Tip price: 0.1404 USD, last price (to be confirmed 0.0397 USD
- Micro Focus – Peter Higgins @ Conkers Corner
- Tip price: 409.2p, last price (tbc 404.5p
- Purplebricks – Oliver Haill @ Proactive Investors
- Tip price: 24.3p, last price (to be confirmed 22.5p
- Ruffer Investment – Peter Sleep @ 7 Investment Management
- Price tip: 291p, last price (TBC 307p = up 5.5%
- SARK ETFs – Neil Wilson @ Markets.com
- Tip price: $37.2, latest price (TBC: $49.14 = up 32%
- Unilever – Chris Beauchamp @ IG
- Tip price: 3,996p, last price (tbc 3,423.5p
- Vanguard U.S. Equity Index Fund – Maria’s Blog @ The Money Principle
- Tip price: 77,834.58p, last price (to be confirmed 74,806.78p
- VinaCapital Vietnam Opportunity – Dan Wilderness @ The Financial Wilderness Blog
- Tip price: 518p, last price (to be confirmed 511p