The pros and cons of Man Utd players in FPL Double Gameweek 25
As reported earlier this week, Manchester United and Brighton and Hove Albion will both have Double Gameweek 25 after their previously postponed Premier League clash was rescheduled for mid-February.
In the first installment of our two-part series Scouting the Doubles, which is linked below, we looked at the Seagulls’ prospects for the Fantasy Premier League (FPL).
FURTHER READING: Brighton players to consider for FPL Double Gameweek 25
Now our attention turns to Ralf Rangnick’s troops, as we weigh the pros and cons of investing in the Red Devils.
All statistics in this article come from our Premium members areawhere there is currently a free trial.
BUY MAN UTD PLAYERS FOR DOUBLE GAMEWEEK 25: THE PROS
GOOD DEALS BEFORE AND AFTER DOUBLE GAMEWEEK
You won’t just get a Double Gameweek with United players, but also three decent matches each side, with the Red Devils against Burnley (a), Leeds United (a) and Watford (h).
That suggests moving their assets doesn’t necessarily have to be a priority, at least until March when the timeline tightens.
In terms of their Double Gameweek 25 fixtures, encouragingly, both games are at home, with Southampton being particularly leaky on the road in recent weeks, conceding 16 goals in their last six away matches.
Under Rangnick, United have won five, drawn two and lost one of their eight Premier League games, and are fourth in the table.
There’s room for improvement, which we’ll get to later, but just looking at the results, it’s a promising start for the German tactician.
During that time, his side scored 12 goals and conceded just six, while keeping clean sheets against Crystal Palace (h), Norwich City (a) and West Ham United (h). Notably, the only time they conceded more than one was when they blew a two-goal lead at Aston Villa in Double Gameweek 22.
BUYING MAN UTD PLAYERS FOR DOUBLE GAMEWEEK 25: CONS
… BUT LOW PERFORMANCE
Although there have been signs of improvement in recent games, particularly since returning to a 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 form, performance has generally been poor for United under Rangnick, especially considering the list of indulgent fixtures: Crystal Palace, Norwich, Newcastle United, Burnley, Wolverhampton Wanderers, Aston Villa, Brentford and West Ham.
This is not unexpected, given that it is never easy for a manager to come into a team in the middle of a season and implement new ideas, but for FPL bosses it is It’s a concern that they aren’t really creating enough quality chances per minute.
What’s more, the opposition won’t be content to turn around, especially Brighton, who have conceded more than one goal on just three occasions on the road this season. Moreover, they have conceded just 12 goals in their 11 Premier League away matches in 2021/22, despite clashes with Liverpool, Chelsea and Leicester City.
Above: Southampton and Brighton away from 2021/22
United’s February schedule (see below) is also worth considering, given that they play seven times in all competitions, with just under 80 hours separating their two Double Gameweek 25 fixtures. .
- friday 4 february: FA Cup 4th round – Middlesbrough (h)
- tuesday 8 february: Gameweek 24 – Burnley (a)
- Saturday February 12: Double Gameweek 25 – Southampton (h)
- tuesday 15 february: Double Gameweek 25 – Brighton and Hove Albion (h)
- Sunday February 20: Gameweek 26 – Leeds United (a)
- Wednesday February 23: knockout stages of the Champions League – Atlético Madrid (a)
- Saturday February 26: Gameweek 27 – Watford (h)
Therefore, it wouldn’t be a big surprise if we see some rotation in the full-back and winger positions, for example, or perhaps Edinson Cavani (£8.4million) getting a run-out up front.
OTHER GOOD OPTIONS IGNORED?
Transfer activity for the majority of FPL managers will now naturally be focused on Double Gameweek 25 assets, while owners of Bruno Fernandes (£11.7 million) and Cristiano Ronaldo (£12.5million) will be reluctant to move them.
As a result, for some, the likes of Mohammad Salah (£12.7 million) and Kevin De Bruyne (£12.2m) may have to wait, despite some particularly attractive Gameweek matches on offer.
MAIN FPL TARGETS
Annual subscriptions, monthly subscriptions and a FREE trial are now available.
Join now to get the following:
- Chart your transfer strategies using the fully interactive Season Ticker.
- Get projections for each Premier League player provided by the Rate My Team statistical model.
- Use Rate My Team throughout the season to guide your picks and transfers.
- Access over 150 member-exclusive items throughout the season.
- Analyze our OPTA powered stat charts specially designed for Fantasy Football managers.
- Use our exclusive tool to create custom stat tables from over 100 OPTA player and team stats.
- Take advantage of our Flat-Track Bully feature which introduces an opposition filter to your tables.
- View heatmaps and data on expected goals for each player.
- Use our powerful comparison tool to analyze head-to-head players.
ALREADY USER ? CLICK HERE TO UPGRADE YOUR FREE ACCOUNT
NEW TO SCOUT? CLICK HERE TO CREATE A MEMBER ACCOUNT