Thomas Tuchel to receive £200m summer war chest as Todd Boehly takeover of Chelsea draws closer
Apart from the defenders, Tuchel could try to sign a new midfielder and has made it clear he needs to look at his attack, but incoming business in these two positions could be affected by departures.
Midfielders Jorginho and N’Golo Kante have just one year left on their contracts, while Timo Werner and Hakim Ziyech are said to be open to departures from Stamford Bridge this summer. Christian Pulisic could consider his future should Chelsea receive an offer for the American.
Chelsea appear to have lost out to Real Madrid in the race to sign Monaco midfielder Aurélien Tchouaméni, while West Ham United have claimed to value Declan Rice at £150m.
Selling one or all of Werner, Ziyech and Pulisic could see Chelsea consider a move for Raheem Sterling, who has one year left on his contract with Manchester City and is yet to decide on his future.
Tottenham and Arsenal are also said to be interested in Sterling, but Chelsea would be a more attractive option at this stage in the 27-year-old’s career if he decides not to sign an extension at City.
Romelu Lukaku and his representatives will talk to the new owners of Tuchel and Chelsea about the Belgian’s future, while the German is expected to allow Marcos Alonso to leave if the club’s valuation of the left-back is equal. Barcelona have been linked with a move for Alonso.
As well as moving quickly into the transfer window, Chelsea’s new owners will start working on new contract deals for Mason Mount, who won the club’s Player of the Year award, Reece James and possibly goalkeeper Edouard Mendy.
‘The Premier League today approved the proposed Chelsea takeover’
Following the Premier League’s approval, the UK government is expected to announce shortly that ministers are happy to go ahead with licensing the deal. But proceeds from the sale will only start changing hands once the European Commission gives its own green light.
European authorities are involved as Abramovich is also sanctioned there and has held a Portuguese passport since last year.
A Premier League statement issued on Tuesday evening on the approval of Chelsea’s new owners said: “The Premier League Board today approved the proposed takeover of Chelsea Football Club by the Todd Boehly/Clearlake Consortium.
“The purchase remains subject to the government issuing the required license to sell and satisfactory completion of the final stages of the transaction. The board has applied the Premier League Owners and Directors Test ( OADT) to all potential directors and has undertaken the necessary due diligence.
“The Consortium members buying the club are affiliates of Clearlake Capital Group, LP, Todd Boehly, Hansjorg Wyss and Mark Walter. Chelsea FC will now work with the relevant governments to secure the necessary licenses to complete the takeover.”
Further final talks continued late into the night between the government and Chelsea. It was expected that any announcement around the license would be delayed until the morning.