Viviscal review: what you need to know
We include products that we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here is our process.
Viviscal Hair Growth Supplements offer a blend of vitamins and minerals to increase hair growth for people suffering from hair loss due to stress, inadequate nutrition, age, or environmental factors.
In addition to supplements for hair growth, Viviscal develops other hair care products for those looking to improve the overall appearance of their hair. This article will explore hair growth supplements and a few alternative options.
Viviscal hair growth supplements, more commonly known as Viviscal, contain the exclusive active ingredient AminoMar, a compound of marine extracts and polysaccharides. Its other ingredients include:
- fish oil
- vitamin C
- horsetail extract
According to the company, clinical research suggests that the ingredients in the supplement nourish thinning hair and promote hair growth, with noticeable benefits within 3 to 6 months.
More specifically, the Viviscal company claims its supplements:
- nourish hair follicles
- stimulate new hair growth
- accelerate overall hair growth
Although the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) does not confirm these claims, Viviscal says its products meet the
The blood vessels attached to the hair follicles nourish the hair so that it can grow. Viviscal supplements claim to improve the nutrients that these hair follicles receive.
The Viviscal company explains that hair growth consists of four stages:
- Anagen: This phase lasts from 2 to 7 years and the time a hair spends in this phase determines its length.
- Catagen: This intermediate phase lasts about 10 days. During this time, the hair follicle shrinks and partially separates from the dermal papillae.
- Telogen: This is the “resting phase” of older hair that lasts about 3 months. As the old hair rests, new hair begins to grow. However, excessive hair loss and noticeable thinning occurs if the hair enters this phase too early.
- Exogenous: This is an extension of the resting or telogen phase, where old hair disconnects from the follicle and falls out as incoming hair continues to grow.
There are not two hairs at the same stage of the hair growth cycle at the same time. The company claims that its supplements prolong the time of a strand of hair in the growth or anagen phase of the cycle. As people get older, the duration of the anagen stage usually decreases. When this happens, the hair has less time to thicken and get stronger.
Research from 2015 indicates that certain nutrients, such as those found in Viviscal hair growth supplements, help maintain regular hair growth. Specifically, these nutrients can help increase hair quantity and reduce hair loss in women who have reported thinning hair.
Additionally, studies indicate that supplements containing marine protein and fish oil minimize hair loss in women, but do not encourage hair growth. A 2019 review suggests that vitamins and minerals have an important but obscure role in the development of hair follicles.
The AminoMar, Biotin, Vitamin C and Zinc in Viviscal Hair Growth Supplements are believed to nourish the hair follicles to promote hair growth. These nutrients could also help create stronger, healthier hair.
Viviscal claims that these ingredients have various benefits:
- AminoMar: A compound of shark cartilage and mollusk powder that contains certain proteins, which promote hair growth and increase hair density.
- Fish oil: Provides omega-3 fatty acids which can help nourish hair follicles.
- Silica: Stabilizes calcium and magnesium levels to balance hormones that can impact hair growth.
- Biotin: Accelerates hair growth and increases their thickness.
- Niacin or Vitamin B3: Increases blood flow to the scalp and hair follicles to stimulate hair growth.
- Vitamin C: Promotes the production of collagen, which then strengthens the hair.
- Zinc: Reduces dandruff and enables healthy hair growth.
Consumers and reviewers have identified the pros and cons of Viviscal hair growth supplements.
The Better Business Bureau (BBB) currently gives the company a C rating. On this review platform, Viviscal has a score of 1.25 stars out of 5, which comes from four customer reviews. All reviews on BBB’s website are generally negative and cite issues with the company’s customer service.
There is currently a positive review on the Trustpilot website, where the company has a score of 3.7 stars out of 5.
Viviscal supplements are said to be easy to find and available in retail stores across the United States, including Walmart and Bed, bath and beyond.
Individuals can order Viviscal hair growth supplements directly through the company’s website.
Viviscal currently offers a 3-month subscription to the Nourishing Starter Kit for around $ 40 per month. The subscription includes a 3 month supplement and 20% off Viviscal Gorgeous Growth Densifying products. A person can cancel the subscription or defer shipments at any time.
The Viviscal site also offers a subscription to the Premium Nourishing and Volumizing Kit for around $ 50 per month. This set includes 3 month supplement, Gorgeous Growth Densifying shampoo and conditioner, and 20% off Viviscal Gorgeous Growth Densifying products. Individuals can also cancel this subscription or delay shipments whenever they wish.
Products available similar to Viviscal supplements include:
- Hair Life Clinical Formula Hair Vitamins: This supplement includes US Plus Saw Palmetto and EnvolMax Toctotrienols, two ingredients that may stimulate hair growth and strengthen existing hair. The company suggests that this supplement can work in as little as 30 days.
- Advantages :
- clean and natural ingredients
- uses clinically researched ingredients
- free delivery
- 90 Day Risk Free Money Back Guarantee
- only available in the United States
- may not be effective for some people
- Advantages :
- Hair Heroes Vitamins: This supplement contains vitamins and minerals, such as biotin, folic acid, saw palmetto and collagen, which treat hormonal changes, nutritional deficits and stress due to hair loss.
- a unique formula of vitamins and minerals that promote hair growth
- 365 day money back guarantee
- takes some time for best results
- only available in the United States
- Nutrafol Core for women: This supplement offers a proprietary blend of vitamins and nutrients, including 300 micrograms of biotin.
- several positive customer reviews
- contains vitamins A, C and D, as well as nutrients and minerals
- higher cost than some products
- 30 day return policy
- lack of information on the dosage of key ingredients
Is Viviscal FDA Approved?
No, supplements, in general, are not regulated by the FDA in the same way as prescription drugs.
Do Viviscal supplements cause rashes or other skin conditions?
According to Viviscal, five clinical trials of its supplements tested its effects on 235 women and found no skin-related issues.
Does Viviscal promote the growth of eyebrows or eyelashes?
The company says there is no clinical evidence that its supplements promote eyebrow or eyelash growth.
Is Viviscal suitable for people with allergies?
Viviscal is not suitable for people with allergies to fish or shellfish. Although the product does not contain dairy, tree nuts, eggs, or wheat, the manufacturing site may use these ingredients in other products.
Is Viviscal suitable for people with celiac disease, gluten allergy or gluten sensitivity?
Viviscal supplements do not include ingredients that contain gluten, but the company may manufacture these products at sites that are not gluten-free. For example, Viviscal Extra Strength supplements contain millet seeds, which can make gluten sensitivity worse.
Can pregnant or breastfeeding women take Viviscal?
The company does not recommend its supplements for people who are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Viviscal Hair Growth Supplements are said to revitalize existing hair and encourage hair growth with a proprietary active blend of marine extracts, vitamins and minerals. The company claims that those who use the supplements benefit from increased hair growth and thicker hair within 3 to 6 months.
The supplements have received a lot of positive reviews from consumers. However, some people have complained about the ineffectiveness of the supplements and the company not providing adequate customer service.
Alternative products are available for purchase at various retailers, in-store and online.